Friday, August 3, 2012

Recording guitars

The real reason i even wanted to learn how to record is to be able to make my songs as good as i can on a tight budget. I can't pay anyone to do that. I can't depend on my engineers to help me. That would take for ever. Busy people.

Today i recorded a guitarist for one of my songs. Several things i can say.

First of all, http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&tbnid=41hGopVuCbs4LM:&imgrefurl=http://www.l2pnet.com/blogs/recording-acoustic-guitar-07072010&docid=tgu3iMFsDpnPdM&imgurl=http://www.l2pnet.com/sites/default/files/guitar%252520miking.jpg&w=800&h=470&ei=YbEcUKqgK8nviQKKtoHADg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=169&vpy=139&dur=5052&hovh=172&hovw=293&tx=198&ty=149&sig=107509497233358524213&page=1&tbnh=112&tbnw=191&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0,i:95

oh man. But if you look at picture C, you'd know what miking technique i used. Neumann KM 184. Vintech pre amp, and distressor compressor. But instead of putting the mikes at exactly 90 degrees from the guitar, i set them up at a 30 degree angle. That is how Dave showed me.

I forgot to check the tempo of the song, so had to make a guitarist wait while i was running back n forth finding the right tempo to set in pro tools.

Lets see...

I also used an amazing fx box for an electric guitar. Forgot to check what kind. I'll right it down next time.

As a producer, I have to say that got exactly what i asked for. Thats the deal with good musicians. They play exactly what you say. Therefore, i'm afraid that if after a while of mixing, the track isn't good, i have noone to blame but myself.

One thing i did realize was that i didn't like the sound of the 12 string guitar for that song. I love its tone. But it feels so dense, that it just didn't fit. It took me a while to understand this, but i did. Sometimes instruments are great by themselves and in concept. But in reality, they might have to live another life.

Oh... and i lied. Or in fact Jim lied. the phasing meter shouldn't be showing 0. It should be showing 1 - be in phase. Sorry lol

:)

Oh n yeah. Tomorrow, i am going to see Aerosmith.   Hope you are jealous. If anybody is out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment